“Ware, located on the nw1/2 sec. 17 and the se1/2 sec. 8, along the line of the Gowrie and Northwestern branch of the C.R.I. & P.Ry. is a thriving village of 150 inhabitants. This the newest town in the county and was named in honor of Francis L. Ware, of Chicago, who owning 1480 acres in that vicinity, donated the railroad company the usual right-of-way across the ne1/2 sec. 17 and additional ground for depot and sidetracks at that place. The establishment of this town and Palmer was the result of a railroad passing through Pocahontas, the last county seat in Iowa, to be thus connected with the outside, world. It is six and a half miles northwest of Pocahontas and about the same distance from Laurens. It is centrally located in a section of county that is comparatively new but as rich and productive as Ancient Egypt.
Mr. Ware, owing to his absence on the Pacific coast during 1900, did not plat his land at the depot until after his return the latter part of October. In the meantime Aug. Hamfeldt, of Ottawa, Ill., owner of several hundred acres in this vicinity, through his agent, Paul Silberger, proceeded to plat and build up the town on the se1/2 sec. 8, just north of the depot. He built several store buildings and dwellings in the fall of 1900 and were occupied as soon as they were completed.
The first buildings completed were the depot and the store of W.S. Cox, of Havelock, both of which wee opened about Sept. 1, 1900. About Oct.7, following, Leonard Sease, was appointed postmaster and opened the Ware post office in this store. Wheeler’s elevator was then completed and there were in progress of erection several other store buildings, a two story hotel, Counselman’s elevator, the Jenkins Helsa lumber sheds, and a number of cozy and comfortable homes. No other town in the county was growing so rapidly as Ware at this period, and the scene of so many new buildings springing up in a cornfield was a very interesting sight to passengers on the passing trains … ”
Source: The Pioneer History of Pocahontas County Iowa, by Robert Elliot Flickinger, published by George Sanborn, Fonda Times, Fonda, Iowa, The Times Print, 1904, pages 735-7