”Southport was included within the limits of Elmira until April 16, 1822, when the township was erected. A part of Ashland was taken from it on April 25, 1867, and portions of the township were also included in the village and city of Elmira at several times, reducing the original area of Southport from 28,969 to 28,335 acres.
The first town meeting was held May 14, 1822, when the following named officers for the new township were elected : Solomon L. Smith, supervisor; William Wells, town clerk ; John W. Knapp, William Jenkins, and Samuel Strong, assessors ; John L. Smith, Platt Bennett, and Samuel Strong, commissioners of highways ; William Benson, James B. Golf, and Platt Bennett, inspectors of common schools ; William Jenkins, William C. Ware, and Jacob Miller, commissioners of common schools; John Fitzsimmons and John L. Smith, overseers of the poor; Nathaniel Knapp, collector; Aaron Brown and Nathaniel Knapp, constables; Samuel Strong and John L. Smith, fence viewers; John Ware, pound-keeper ; Samuel Middaugh, John Bovier, John Fitzsimmons, John Sly, William K. Knapp, Philo Jones, Thomas Comfort, and Jeremiah Coleman, overseers of highways.”
Our County and Its People, by Ashburn Towner, 1892, page 426