The Wares of Rock and Pipestone Counties, Minnesota

C.S. Ware

The Episcopal church has been ministered to by the following six regularly Installed rectors: C. 8. Ware, 1891-94, …

Holy Trinity Parish was organized June 25, 1891, at which time Rev. C. S. Ware, who had supplied at intervals, was chosen as the first rector.

The erection of a church home was agreed upon, and on August 19, 1891, Bishop Gilbert and Rev. Ware laid the corner stone of the structure.


W. M. Ware, William Ware, Mrs. M.W. Ware, Ruth S. Ware


Rock township, named after the river which flows through it, was also created June 2. The first town meeting was held June 14 at the residence of W. M. Ware on section 22. The organization was legalized by the county board June 28, 1879. Government lands in Rock township were granted as follows:

…Milton W. Ware (22), …William Ware (22), …


The second fraternal order in Pipestone was the Odd Fellows, which was organized a short time after the Masonic charter was granted. Hope Lodge No. 89, I. O. O. F.. was instituted June 29, 1882, by Grand Deputy Matthews, of Lake Benton.

…Mrs. M.W. Ware, chaplain, …sentinel: …M.W. Ware

The first officers of the Workmen lodge were M. W. Ware, …

The charter members of the Good Templars lodge were: …M.W.Ware

U. S. Grant Corps No. 13, W. R. C., was organized March 8, 1889, with nineteen charter members: …Ruth S. Ware


J. Roland Ware, Paschal H. Ware


The following have been graduated from the Pipestone high school:

1897–J.Roland Ware

1899–Paschal H. Ware


Emma L. Ware, M.W. Ware

During the first five years of Its life the Presbyterian church was without regular pastors being supplied from other towns. The missionary for Minnesota. The following were the first members of the Woodstock Presbyterian church: …Emma L. Ware

The first Presbyterian church of Woodstock was incorporated February 10, 1885, with the following trustees: M. W. Ware, …


William Ware


Township 106 of range 44 was created by action of the county commissioners April 20, 1879, and named Erin. The first town meeting was held at the residence of Michael Moriarity on the northwest quarter of section 15. At a subsequent meeting in the claim shanty of John Shea, on the southwest quarter of section 26, it was decided to change the name to Burke, in honor of Rev. Thomas N. Burke.  The change was ratified by the county commissioners June 2, 1879.

Five hundred sixty acres of sod were turned In Burke township in 1878… Heirs of William Ware (14)…

Source:  An Illustrated History of the Counties of Rock and Pipestone, Minnesota, by Arthur P. Rose, Northern History Publishing Co., Luverne, Minnesota, 1911


The Wares of Rock and Pipestone Counties, Minnesota — 1 Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By submitting a comment here you grant this site a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution.