”BLUE LAKE TOWNSHIP.
This township is of regulation size, a square of six miles each side, and is on the northern tier of townships, with Whitehall and Montague on the west, Holton on the east, and Dalton on the south, with Otto on the north in Oceana County. It is range 16 west, and township 12 north, and is named from a good-sized lake —Blue Lake—about a mile and a half long. The whole township drains into the White River, which crosses the northwest corner, and it is full of little lakes, among which may be noticed Little Black Lake in the south. Indeed the town of Blue Lake with the north of Dalton, and the southeast of Holton is all a lake country, which a quarter of a century ago obtained the name of the Thousand Lakes. The most of the township is sandy loam, and will be good for the raising of fruit, the only objection will be the want of facilities for shipping as compared with those on the lake shores.
The first supervisor was Austin P. Ware, born in 1818 in New York State, and a settler since 1864, settling on Sections 20 and 29. He held the Supervisorship from the time the town was organized in 1865 to 1869,…”
1871, A.P. Ware
History of Muskegon County, Michigan, 1882, pages 111 and 46