“Charles T. Ware
Charles T. Ware was born Oct. 27, 1885 in Colorado City. Since 1901 he had lived at the family home which his father built at 1018 S. Polk.
As a contemporary recalled recently, Charles Ware’s life was “mostly banking.” He attended Amarillo schools and Peacock Military Academy in San Antonio, but what he wanted to do was be in the banking business, and he started early, in 1905.
He became president of the bank after his father’s death and held that position until 1971 when he became chairman of the board and his brother, Dick, was named president.
He had never married.
He was a member of the First Baptist Church, a Mason and a member of Khiva Temple.
— and —
Amarillo Banking Brothers Dead
The Ware brothers, whose names have been identified with the Amarillo National Bank for more than 60 years, died Sunday.
Richard C. “Dick” Ware, 95, president of the bank, died about 9:30 a.m. at this home at 4 Greenwood Lane.
Charles T. Ware, 87, chairman of the board, died about 3:10 p.m. at his home at 1018 Polk.
The two had been in failing health. Dick Ware for about a year and Charles Ware for several years.
Funeral services will be at 11 a.m. today at the First Baptist Church. Dr. Winfred Moor, pastor, will officiate.
Officers of the Amarillo National Bank will serve as pallbearers.
The Amarillo National Bank will be closed from 10 a.m. until noon today.
Together, during a long lifetime of banking service to Amarillo and the Panhandle, the Ware brothers saw the Amarillo National Bank grow from a small cattlemen’s bank with deposits of less than one million dollars to become the largest family-owned commercial bank in the nation with resources of more than $170 million.
The two had directed the affairs of the bank since the 1930’s. Their father, B. T. Ware, first acquired stock in the bank in 1900. He was president fo the bank at the time of his death in 1937. A younger brother, Arthur Ware, who died in 1959, was also an officer of the bank.
The Wares came to the Panhandle in 1888 when their father started ranching and mercantile business here.
B. T. Ware first acquired a minority ownership in the Amarillo National Bank but sold it to organize the Western Bank & Trust Co. The two banking firms were merged at the start of this century.
Through most of its life the Amarillo National Bank was located at 401 S. Polk and is still in the same block.”
Walter Dunn Record added: Sep 01, 2007