Added by: Rich Ware
Leo Russell Ware was the son of Alva Russell (Russ) Ware and Georgia Maude Hasch. Russ and Maude never married. At the time of Maude’s pregnancy with Leo, Russ was living in Shelbyville, Indiana with his parents and siblings, and Maude was living nearby in Johnson County, Indiana with hers.
One year and 5 months after Leo was born, his mother Maude married Frank Cooper on 19 Jan 1910 in Edinburgh, Johnson, Indiana which was witnessed by her brother Archie (Arch) C. Hasch. Leo went by the married name of his mother “Cooper” until he was of age and married at which time he reverted to using Ware as his surname.
Shortly after Leo’s birth, his father Russ Ware moved to Colorado Springs, Colorado with his parents and siblings where they lived for 2-3 years. About 1913 the Oliver Ware family moved from Colorado to Los Angeles, California. Over the years Leo and his wife and children visited his father in California and Russ visited them in Indiana.
At age 20, Leo married Mabel Marie Hants in Hancock County, Indiana. They went on to have 2 children:
Constance (Connie) Jean Ware, b. 1934
Sondra (Sony) Kay Ware, b. 1939, d. 2011
Mabel went by her middle name of Marie. Her parents were Oscar Valentine Hants and Minnie Coffman, both born in Indiana. Marie was born 4 Nov 1908 in Nineveh Township, Johnson, Indiana and was raised in that area.
Leo and Marie lived in different places in Indiana, including Indianapolis, Batesville, and Franklin.
Around the time of his mother’s death (24 Oct 1971), Leo and his wife moved to Altamonte Springs, Seminole, Florida. Here they lived until their deaths. Leo passed away first on 22 Oct 1985 and Marie, his wife, passed away 6 Apr 1989, both in Altamonte Springs, Florida.
Remarks made by Paul Lewis, son-in-law of Leo and Marie Ware: “Leo and Marie were both cremated. When Marie died, Connie kept Leo’ urn and Sony got Marie’ which we brought back to Indiana. We kept it here at the house and when Sony died, I had the funeral home send it back down to Connie and as far as I know she was going to spread them on her pond at her house, whether she did or not I don’t know. Connie was here when Sony died and she said that Marie never wanted to come back to Indiana so she said I could send her back to Florida and the only way you can do it thru the funeral home.”
1. Indiana, Select Marriages, 1780-1992. Leo Russell Ware was born 4 Aug 1908 in Edinburgh, Indiana. At age 20 he married Mabel Marie Hants on 28 Sep 1928 in Hancock County, Indiana. His father was A. Russell Ware and mother was Maude Hasch. FHL Nbr: 1941051. Ref ID: Bk 21, p. 290.
2. 1920 US Census for Maude Hashe living with parents and siblings in Edinburgh, Blue River Twp, Johnson, Indiana. Lists her parents Johanes Hashe age 64 born abt 1856 in Kentucky, his wife Lucinda age 64 born abt 1856 in Kentucky, son Clay age 34 born abt 1886 in Indiana, his wife Rose age 21 born abt 1899 in Minnesota, and dau of Clay and Rose is Ila age 1Y 9M born abt 1918 in Indiana, then dau Maude [Hashe] Cooper age 32 born abt 1888 in Indiana, and Maude’s children: son Leo age 10 born abt 1910 in Indiana, dau Agnes Cooper age 6 born abt 1914 in Indiana, and dau Madonna age 1Y 8M born abt 1918 in Indiana.
3. 1930 US Census for Leo R. Ware living with wife in Indianapolis, Marion, Indiana. Leo age 21 born abt 1909 in Indiana, wife Marie M. age 21 born abt 1909 in Indiana.
4. 1931 U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989. “Ware, Leo R. (Marie M) cementwkr [cement worker] h[ome] 1226 N. Illinois St., Apt 8, Indianapolis, Indiana.”
5. 1940 US Census for Leo R. Ware living with wife and 2 daughters in Franklin, Johnson, Indiana at 457 W. Adams St. In Occupation: Mgr Chain Store. Leo R. is age 31 born abt 1909 in Indiana, wife Marie age 31 born abt 1909 in Indiana, dau Constance Jean age 6 born abt 1934 in Indiana, dau Sondra Ray age 2 months born abt 1940 in Indiana. 1935 they lived in Batesville, Ripley, Indiana.
6. U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989 for Maud[e] I Ware, Indianapolis, Marion, Indiana, 1942. “Ware, Russell L[eo] (Maud[e] I) filling sta[tion] 723 Riviera Dr, h 7022 Park av”.
7. 1943 U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989. “Ware, Leo R. (Marie) (H) mgr Jay-C Store h[ome] 865 N. Graham, [phone] 812, Franklin, Johnson, Indiana.”
8. 1949 U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989. “Ware, Leo R. (Marie) tmkpr [time keeper] Intl Harv[ester] h[ome] 309 N. Beville Ave, Indianapolis, Indiana.”
9. 1952 U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989. “Ware, Leo R. (Marie) analyst Intl Harv[ester] h[ome] 309 N Beville Ave, Indianapolis, Indiana.”
10. 1955 U.S. City Directories, 1821-1989. “Ware, Leo R. (Marie) analyst Intl Harv[ester] h[ome] 309 N Beville Ave, Indianapolis, Indiana.”
11. U.S. Public Records Index, Volume 2. “Leo R. Ware was born 4 Aug 1908. Residence: 402 East St, Altamonte Springs, FL, 32701-5709.
12. U.S., Social Security Death Index, 1935-Current. Leo Ware was born 4 Aug 1908 and died Oct 1985. Last residence: Altamonte Springs, Seminole, Florida 32701. SS# obtained in Indiana bef 1951.
13. Florida Death Index, 1877-1998. Leo Russell Ware was born 4 Aug 1908 and died 22 Oct 1985 in Seminole county, Florida at age 77.
Bio and Research by Rich Ware.
Created by: Rich Ware
Record added: Jan 29, 2014
Find A Grave Memorial# 124320599