JAMES B. WARE, farmer, Corinth, Heard County, Georgia, son of John M. and Lucy (Sturdivant) Ware, was born on the plantation on which he now lives in Heard County (then just organized) in 1830.
His paternal grandfather, Henry Ware, was born in Maryland in 1756—his parents having been among the early English settlers of that state. He was a soldier in the patriot army during the Revolutionary War, at the close of which, Dec. 14, 1783, he married Miss Winnie Mims, and soon afterward migrated to South Carolina, where he died Nov. 21, 1807. His widow died Sept. 14, 1812. Mr. Ware’s father was born in Edgeﬁeld District, South Carolina, in 1788, grew to manhood on the farm, and was educated at the near-by country schools. While yet a young man he migrated to Georgia, and began farming in Lincoln County. In 1827 he moved to Pike, and the next year to Troup, and later to Coweta County, Georgia, where he died Aug. 18, 1838. May 11, 1811, he married his wife, who was an orphan girl living with her uncle, Lockhart, of Lincoln County. She died Oct. 22, 1869.
Mr. Ware was raised a farmer on the plantation, and received his primary education at a little log school-house, still standing, a few miles from the old homestead. He began life on the plantation of his father, and has prospered in his labors.
His natural capacity and superior abilities as a man of affairs being quickly recognized by his fellow-citizens, he was elected a justice of the peace in 1852, and held the office seven years. In 1859 he was elected to represent Heard County in the general assembly. In 1874 he was again elected, and on each occasion represented his constituency with fidelity, and usefully. He was also elected a justice of the inferior court, and rendered efficient service to the county in that capacity for eleven years.
In 1887 he organized the Corinth Agricultural Club and Fair Association, of which he was then elected, and has continued to be, president, in which capacity he has done quite as much, if not more, than any other citizen to improve and advance the agricultural interests of the county.
In 1863 he raised a company of seventy men—of which he was elected captain—-which became Company G, of Col. Wilcoxon’s Regiment of state troops. In 1864 he enlisted in the Confederate service, in which he continued, rendering valuable service until the surrender. During the “unpleasantness” he gave up his business and devoted money, time and labor to caring for the families of the soldiers, a noble service on his part which they have never forgotten, and for which they have ever been ready to express their gratitude. It was the soldiers in the field, who, though in Virginia, were allowed to vote, first elected him justice of the inferior court. He has been much before the public and much in public life, and has always been found working for the best interests of the people.
As a planter, he has been eminently successful, and a sort of leader by general consent. His well-arranged and well-cultivated ﬁelds bear ample testimony to his intelligent supervision and skill. He is progressive or nothing, and exercises a wholesome inﬂuence among his farmer-friends.
Mr. Ware was married Oct. 11, 1849, to Miss Sarah M., daughter of John and Comfort (Grace) Sims. Of the children, which blessed this union, the following are living: Mrs. Alberta V. Orr, A. E., Mrs. Addie G. Snow, John F., Alonzo C., Alfred Z., Henry H., Robert H., and Minnie. He is an ardent and active member of the Masonic fraternity, of forty years standing, and has been a member of the Baptist Church since 1851, of which he has been a deacon since 1860, and treasurer of the Western Baptist Association for the past seventeen years.
Source: Memoirs of Georgia, Containing historical accounts of the states civil, military, industrial and professional interests and personal sketches of many of it’s people, Volume I, The Southern Historical Association, Atlanta, Georgia, 1895