”FORT COVINGTON.
FIRST SETTLEMENTS, ETC.
The territory lying within the present bounds of Fort Covington embraces the west part of the town of Coniaches or No. 2 of Great Tract No. 1, Macomb’s Purchase, and a part of the original St. Regis reservation, since ceded to the State.
The first assignment of lands in this town by the Indians was in 1793, when the chiefs of St. Regis leased to Wm. Gray a tract lying on Salmon River, the consideration being $200 annual rental, commencing at the expiration of the first four years. The principal consideration, however, or inducement with the chiefs, was the promise of erection of mills at this point. Feb. 6, 1796, Wm. Gray, mentioned above, and Thomas Araquente, another chief, entered into terms of assignment by which the latter gained the sawmill, then of no great importance, bat no regular papers were signed until Dec. 15, 1798, when the chief in full council confirmed the conveyance.
‘James Robertson, of Montreal, Dec. 29, 1798, bought this lease for $2400 of Aranquente, and the annuity of $200 of the St. Regis tribe, within a warranty on the part of Aranquente of the lands on both sides of Salmon River, from its source to a line to be drawn at a distance of half a mile from the mill. The mill and one mile square was, however, conveyed by warranty. …’
The following were living on the ” mile square” in 1820: …Silas Ware, …”
Reference Data:
History of Clinton and Franklin Counties, New York, by Duane Hamilton Hurd, 1880, pages 480-2
