”When Wesley Chapel, referred to above, was nearly completed services were held in it in June, 1832. The membership at first was only eleven persons. But it soon increased and in 1845 the First Methodist Church was erected on the site of the chapel. It was a handsome building for that era. but was replaced in 1886 by the splendid granite edifice which stands on the adjoining lot at the corner of Second and Poplar Avenue, one of the handsomest of Memphis churches.
The Pastors of the church since 1832 have been: …Thos. C. Ware, 1855; …”
Reference Data:
Standard History of Memphis, Tennessee: From a Study of Original Sources, by John Preston Young and A.R. James, 1912, page 500
