In London, in 1259, the newly elected Abbot of Westminster,
Richard de Ware, was sent to Rome for confirmation of his post.
There he discovered the decorative marble work of the Roman Cosmati family. This made such an impression upon de Ware that he arranged for craftsmen and precious marbles to be brought to London from Italy, and thus was begun work on the sanctuary pavement before the high altar of Westminster Abbey. The Great Pavement was completed in 1268. It is the only work of its kind north of the alps, and the only known piece of Cosmati opus sectile work with text.
Abbot Richard de Ware, died Dec., 1283, and buried at the Chapter House on the north side of the “Sacrarium” beneath the pavement.