Ware-Farley-Hood house opens in Montgomery, AL.


Al Bouler was attired in an 1800s costume as he portrayed James Farley and greeted arriving guests on the veranda of the Ware-Farley-Hood House.

He invited each to cross the threshold of the historic mansion and enjoy an evening of Southern merriment.

Inside, Jordie Chapman portrayed Susie Hood, a resident of the house circa 1910, and gave guests a tour that included a walk up three flights to the cupola, where a sign read, “Please keep this door closed so the ghosts won’t get out.”

Intrigued, 8 year-old Gregory Ware McCollum, a Ware family descendant, was not deterred when he walked right through with his mother, Alice Ware Bargainer McCollum, and his younger brother, Lawton. The young ghost-busters were among the special guests at a reception last Thursday night as the historic house in Old Alabama Town was unveiled to the public for special event usage.

Built circa 1850 by local physician James A. Ware, the home’s Italianate structure was more urban and sophisticated than the classical styles of the era. It was especially suitable for the Southern climate with its spreading porches, tall windows and broad over-hanging eaves, which were especially helpful for ventilation. Opting to retreat to his country home and plantation, Ware sold the home to his friend, prominent banker James Farley. It was later purchased in 1905 by Samuel Starke, who operated it as Starke’s School for Girls.

In 1909, it was purchased by Horace Hood, editor of the Alabama Journal and one-time sheriff of Montgomery County, who deeded it to his wife, Susan Brame Hood. It was purchased by Old South Insurance in 1956 and used as the company’s offices.

Donated to the Landmarks Foundation and the city of Montgomery in 1989 by the Retirement Systems of Alabama, it was moved to its current location at the corner of North Hull and Randolph streets.

Evening of surprises

From the 1850s to the 1950s, the families of the wealthy planter, the successful banker, and the prominent newspaper man entertained the city folk of Montgomery. Intimate soirees, afternoon tea parties, galas and back-room business and political deals took place under the graceful cupola adorning the house and overlooking the town. Twenty-five years after its relocation to Old Alabama Town, its doors were opened once again for entertaining.

With no ghosts around, it was readied for future weddings, receptions and bridal party gatherings; business meetings and corporate events; special occasion and private entertaining opportunities.

Landmarks interim director Marion Baab, event planner Sarah Spratling, and Jennie Weller, the exclusive caterer for the location, were among those on the committee that planned last week’s social “reveal” as a special evening of surprises in each area of the house. They were joined by committee members and Landmarks board members Florence Young, Mary Ann Neeley and Lee Sellers, who also directed the home’s interior design, and Old Alabama Town curator Carole King.

From top to bottom

Near the glorious walnut staircase that James Farley envisioned his daughters coming down in their wedding gowns one day, Old Alabama Town’s membership director Tunisia Thomas greeted Landmarks board members, including president Kindell Anderson; vice president Elizabeth Lawlor; Christy Anderson; Jeff Benton; Stephen Brickley; Frances Durr; Emily Flowers, granddaughter of Anita Folmar, for whom one of the parlors is named; James Fuller; Elizabeth Mazyck; Nan Rosa; Susan Samuel; and emeritus member Joyce Hobbs.

Board member Jonathan Vega gave Dee and BillColeman a tour of the location’s second level, which includes a grand hall, several rooms, each featuring its own hand-painted fireplace cover, and back stairs that lead to a main-level prep kitchen.

Jennie Weller and her staff prepared bacon-wrapped pickled watermelon rind that were passed to guests as they walked along the wrap-around porch and through the parlors and ballroom of the Old Alabama Town location.

Southern surprise

In each area, Weller, Sarah Spratling and Aaron Ganey added a few unusual twists to the reception, including their answer to depression-era bathtub gin. A barefoot Beth Clark paid homage to the early era of the house by serving as hostess at a mint julep station constructed over a claw foot bathtub. Positioned under the staircase, silver trays, crystal decanters and silver bowls were used in the featured service and display of mint, bourbons, “moonshine shooters” and romance novels.

Welcome to the parlors

Spratling served as hostess in the Anita Folmar Room, where she sliced the three-tier cake created by Peggy McKinney for the occasion. With its reflection glowing at the center of a tall antique mirror, McKinney had constructed the cake on a wooden plateau with vintage edging. She was there as other guests admired the confection positioned in the room named for the recently deceased former first lady of Montgomery.

Marla Foster was among those in “Miss Anita’s Room,” where the dome of flowers atop the cake mirrored the blossoms used in a luscious garland that fell from the fireplace mantel behind it. Cherry Brandy roses, magnolia, cockscomb, thistle and a variety of vibrant fall flowers filled the garland everyone admired. It was positioned under a special Southern element — a beautiful magnolia wreath from Sherrell Smitherman’s stand at the local curb market.

Descendants gather

Across the hall, boughs of greenery topped the mantel in the Ware Room, where celedon-colored Lamour linens topped round tables. Silver trumpet vases were filled with a variety of white blossoms in the room named for James Ware, the brother of Robert Ware, an ancestor of Jane Barganier, who enjoyed the evening with her husband, Jim Barganier.

Bob Vardaman and Mary Sanders also were among the guests in the room when Jennie Weller premiered her new mac-and-cheese bar. Aaron Ganey transferred scoops from a silver warming dish and swirled each guest’s individual serving within the well of an 80-pound parmesan cheese wheel. Guests selected their favorite toppings for the traditional favorite, as well as delicacies from a nearby fried green tomato station, where scrumptious tomato quarters were topped with whipped goat cheese, bacon, and a sweet and spicy aioli.

A room for a historian

Jim Hodgson, Sheila Weil and local historian Mary Ann Neeley were among those mingling in the parlor named for Neeley.

A towering arrangement of beautiful blossoms and greenery had been designed for a buffet table that was covered in golden rod-colored Lamour linens and topped with exquisite lace-edged overlays and silver service pieces. Identical linens topped high-boy cocktail tables that were accented with brandy snifters of floating spider lilies.

Southern fried chicken lollipops were among the selections Jennie Weller prepared for the buffet, which also included cornbread canapés topped with smoked pork and pickled slaw; open-faced cucumber sandwiches and pimento cheese finger sandwiches; as well as seasonal fruits and domestic and imported cheeses.

The vapors!

Old Alabama Town staff members Robin Birdwell, Jane Coker, MaryAnne Douglass and Sheryl Bagley were in the Farley Parlor, where the room had been set up to demonstrate the versatility of the location. Set up conference-style for the evening, it was outfitted with podiums and audio visual equipment, and table and chair settings that lent a sense of cozy elegance for a special business meeting.

The Lo-Fi Loungers entertained as couples danced to “Stars Fell on Alabama” in the Susan Hood Ballroom and heralded the moment spotlighting the entrance of a silver teapot. A cloud of vapor filled the area as its contents were poured for the dramatic preparation of nitrogen ice cream at a dessert station in the room. Guests were mesmerized by the evolution of the buttermilk-custard treat that resulted. Each topped a serving of the dessert with shattered raspberries and tea cookies that were displayed on angled elevations of glass nearby.

Special night for little girls

The ballroom space, as well as the entire location, will be the special site for this year’s Diamond Princess Ball. Florence Young, who has served as the ball’s chairman since its inception, is excited the annual Father-Daughter event will be hosted by the Landmarks Foundation at the Ware-Farley-Hood House on Dec. 5.

Article from Montgomery Advertiser October 19, 2014 by Deborah Hayes Moore.


Ware Family Mystery “Solved”

Note:  It has come to my attention that a books was published in 2003, by a black author, Ann L. Wills.  The title of the book is “Notes and Documents of Free Person’s of Color, Four Hundred Years of An American Family’s History.”  I found the book through Google Books while helping Joe Ware of the lineage of Edward Ware and Leticia Powell.  The book is abbreviated in some places, so I am assuming the author is referring to her family. She writes on page 186,

“Virginia law forbade interracial marriages, and accused those involved in the unions of breaking the law.  The children of mixed race unions and were considered bastards even though Virginia forbade marriages between the races.  Following is the case of Leticia Powell.”

Joe Ware has already supplied the information given in that Court Case, File 25 Powell, Leticia, Court Charges 1700’s, below.  Unfortunately the author did not research her facts, nor did she try to contact descendants of the family to verify her information.

She goes on to describe another Powell family, Benjamin Powell, who we know nothing about.  His widow, Jane Cooper, married a man named, James Pinn and she status changed from White to Mulatto.  The coincidence of lasts names has nothing to do with Leticia being a person of color.

I have tried to contact the author at her e-mail address and she has not responded.  I am writing this disclaimer for the Joseph Ware family and associated lines.  His DNA and others who were tested of this line do not bear any trace of people of color.


Edward Ware and Leticia Powell left Caroline County, Virginia around 1750 and moved to Amherst County. They brought children with them including three boys, Edward, John and William.

In his will, Edward referred to these boys as Edward Powell, John Powell and William Powell. They were later sometimes referred to as Powell, sometimes as Ware and sometimes as Powell alias Ware.

Question; Was Edward the father of the three boys or were they perhaps Leticia’s by a previous marriage?

This situation has been researched by a number of Ware descendants over the years. They found that Leticia had been fined  in Caroline county for having children out of wedlock. Edward had paid the fine. There was no record of their marriage in Caroline County but both families were long established there. The Ware and Powell families were dissenters from the established Church of England so the two may have been  married outside the church.

This only led to speculation and didn’t answer the question of paternity.

In 2004 members of the Ware family decided to participate in a DNA project with the objective of linking the several known Ware branches in the US and abroad.

Joseph M Ware was a DNA test subject from the Amherst branch. His descent from John Powell Ware was documented.

Julian Wayne Ware was a DNA test subject who descended from Edward’s brother Henry who had migrated from Caroline County to Georgia.

The two DNA samples matched although the families had been separated for about 250 years.

This is considered conclusive evidence that John Powell was Edward’s son since both Joseph and Wayne have the DNA of the father of Edward and Henry. A mystery of some 250 years had been solved by modern science.

Ware Center Cemetery, Greenwich Plains Road, Hampshire County, Massachusetts


Cemetery notes and/or description:
Ware Center is a section of Ware.The cemetery is immediately on the left behind the Ware Center Congregational Meeting House. There is no sign. Parking is on the street or just to the left of the cemetery driveway (on the grass). This cemetery was for pastors of (Ware Center Meetinghouse)
And their families. The rest of the people were buried up the hill at West Cemetery.


Ware Center Cemetery
Ware Center Cemetery
Added by: P.K. Magruder

Ware, Betsey 63386121
b. Sep. 15, 1811 d. Sep. 27, 1811 Ware Center Cemetery
Hampshire County
Massachusetts, USA

Ware, Isaac 63386155
b. Jan. 30, 1816 d. Feb. 5, 1816 Ware Center Cemetery
Hampshire County
Massachusetts, USA

Ware, Lucy 63386168
b. Jul. 20, 1819 d. Sep. 10, 1819 Ware Center Cemetery
Hampshire County
Massachusetts, USA

Ware, Lucy 63386131
b. Sep. 15, 1811 d. Oct. 6, 1811 Ware Center Cemetery
Hampshire County
Massachusetts, USA

Ware, Samuel Austin 63386145
b. Oct. 3, 1814 d. Jun. 12, 1815 Ware Center Cemetery
Hampshire County
Massachusetts, USA

From Find A Grave.

Tara Ware

Tara Ware

Senior Marketing Analyst

Tara Ware

The formal stuff: Tara joined Leap Media Solutions in November, 2014 and is responsible for database design and integration, campaign analytics, marketing operations, and client support.

She began her career at the Lakeland Ledger in 2000 in Customer Service. In 2003 she moved into the role of Circulation Coordinator before being promoted to Marketing Campaign Analyst for the New York Times Regional Media Group in 2007 and continued in this role with Halifax Media until August, 2012.   Most recently, Tara served as Senior Marketing Analyst with DataMentors, Inc., based in Wesley Chapel, FL.

Tara is a highly skilled data analyst, playing a key role in the DTI and MAAX implementations at the New York Times Regional Media Group.  During her career, she has developed automation processes, customer acquisition and retention programs, and standardization practices that have driven operational efficiencies and peak performance for newsmedia organizations. Tara will receive her Associates in Business Administration with a Specialization in Marketing in the spring of 2015 from Polk State College.  She lives in Lakeland, Florida with her husband and three dogs.

The fun stuff: An avid dog lover, one of her favorite breeds is Pug. She is a volunteer foster home for Pug Rescue of Florida and even has one named Frank after the Pug in Men in Black. Her favorites…

Food: Italian

Book: The Great Gatsby

Movie: Iron Man Series

TV Show: Criminal Minds and Walking Dead

Band: Aerosmith and Queen

Beer: Root beer

City: Cozumel

Willis Ware ( – 2013)

Willis Ware: Last of the Original ECP Engineers

By George Dyson

Ware’s contributions helped create the working architecture of the modern digital computer.

Willis Ware accepted a position with the Institute for Advanced Study’s Electronic Computer Project (ECP) on May 13, 1946, and began work on June 1. He was the fourth engineer hired to work on the project—and, at his death on November 22, 2013, was the last survivor of the original engineering team. The wor­king architecture of the modern digital com­pu­ter—gates, timers, shift registers, all the elements we take entirely for granted including how to implement an adder, not to mention random-access memory and the registers that keep track of it—has Willis Ware’s fingerprints all over it.

He and his friend and colleague James Pomerene were hired by chief engineer Julian Bigelow from Hazeltine Electronics in Little Neck, Long Island, where they had worked on IFF (Identification Friend or Foe) radar systems during World War II. IFF was an implementation, using analogue components, of high-speed digital coding, and was the opposite of encryption. Instead of trying to encode a message that was as difficult as possible to understand when intercepted, the goal of IFF was to transmit a code that would be as difficult as possible to misunderstand. The ability to reliably manipulate high-speed pulses of electrons that Ware and colleagues had developed for IFF was perhaps the greatest technical contribution that anyone brought to the problem of physically realizing, at megacycle speed, what John von Neumann had set out to do, in theory, in late 1945 and early 1946.

Ware was there from the very beginning—starting with the construction of workbenches in the Fuld Hall basement—using “firewood” since wartime rationing of lumber was still in effect. Even scarcer than lumber were apartments, and Ware and Pomerene solved this problem by trading their New York apartments with a couple of Princeton residents who were commuting to work at the United Nations. Ware became the project’s official technical photographer, and his superb documentation of every stage in the construction of the new machine, included in the widely disseminated series of “Interim Progress Report[s] on the Physical Realization of an Electronic Computing Instrument” (starting in January 1947) were instrumental to the immediate and worldwide replication of the IAS design (including its commercial implementation as the IBM 701). Ware and his fellow engineers were well aware that they were forgoing any patents on the inventions they were making right and left, but, continuing in the spirit of wartime cooperation they had started with, they did not object.

About von Neumann, and the origins of stored-program computing, Ware made the now immortal statement that “he was in the right place at the right time with the right connections with the right idea, setting aside the hassle that will probably never be resolved as to whose ideas they really were.”

Ware was there at the creation. “I and Akrevoe [Kondopria Emmanouilides, the project secretary, who came to IAS from the ENIAC project at Penn] are the only ones left of the Princeton tribe,” he wrote to me this past year. “If there is any last thing that you need about ECP, now’s the time to ask about it. The hourglass has only a few hundred grains of sand remaining.”

He gave all of us so much.

George Dyson, Director’s Visitor (2002–03), is the author of Turing’s Cathedral: The Origins of the Digital Universe (Pantheon Books, 2012).

David Warren Ware Jr. Obituary, 2014

David Warren Ware Jr.

1946 – 2014 

WARE, David Warren Jr., 68, of Yorktown, died tragically Friday, December 19, near his home. He was born in Williamsburg, May 20, 1946 to David W. (deceased) and Martha Millner Ware; and moved to Toano at age 1. He attended Toano School, moving on to Matthew Whaley and James Blair High School. He graduated from Christ Church Episcopal Boys School and then the College of William and Mary. He was a member of Sigma Pi fraternity, where he was quite the life of the party. He served as an Infantry Lieutenant in the U.S. Army from 1968 to 1972, graduating from OCS at Fort Benning, Ga. and was stationed at Fort Dix, N.J. and Watertown, N.Y. Through his sister, Martha, he met his first wife, Chase Ware. Together they had two daughters, Katharine Stafford Ware Gregory and Amanda Chase Ware Kizer. His second and present wife of 24 years, Sherron Ware, brought the addition of her son, Shane Hatchell, to his family. Over the course of his life, David operated the True Value Hardware Store, was general manager of the family shopping center, Colonial Towne Plaza, owned a roll off container business and a construction company. He served on the James City County Board of Supervisors, representing the Stonehouse District from 1977 to 1979. David was enjoying his “semi-retirement” from “real jobs” when his life was heartbreakingly cut short. He spent his days fishing, planting tomatoes and watermelons, raising chickens and gathering eggs. He was known for his “famous” BBQ, providing the meals for churches, condo parties, charities or anybody who just happened to stop by to say hello. They usually left with not only BBQ, but eggs, watermelons, fish, tomatoes or whatever was thriving at his place that day. David was a very gifted pianist and would often treat visitors to rousing renditions at the piano. He and Sherron were also quite the ballroom dancers. His absolute favorite activity was playing with and entertaining his grandchildren, Alex, Ian, Lily and Theodore (David called him “The Beav”). He was always in his work van on his way to help somebody rebuild or repair something, to feed or to comfort somebody and always, most assuredly, to entertain whomever he met by regaling one of his many, many hilarious, real life adventures. Even if they weren’t hilarious, David would work it in such a way that they were. You were usually guaranteed a good laugh by the time you left David. He belonged to many organizations. He was not just a member in name only, but a fully participating member, rolling up his sleeves and jumping in to make whatever organization a better place, always recruiting a crowd to accompany him to meetings. He belonged to the Jamestowne Society, The Mayflower Society, The Huguenot…

Published by Joseph W. Bliley Funeral Home

Published in Joseph W. Bliley Funeral Home from Dec. 29 to Dec. 31, 2014

– See more at: http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/richmond-va/obituary.aspx?n=david-warren-ware&pid=173643420&fhid=4650#sthash.YH3BrZZh.dpuf

Katherine M. Ware

Kathrine M. Ware, A.N.P.

Kathrine M. Ware

Clinical Interests

Ms. Ware’s clinical interests include non-cardiac vascular disease, as well as risk-factor and life-style modifications including smoking cessation, lipid management, nutrition, exercise, stress reduction and self-care. She has experience with complex wound care and venous disease, and is interested in healthcare economics policy, tobacco control policy, and patient advocacy.

Ms. Ware has a patient-centered approach to health for individuals, with a focus on maximizing wellness within the spectrum of the disease process. She highlights the importance of family, social and community support for wellness. She feels that a basis for patient-directed goal setting for wellness considers all aspects of human needs, including physical, mental, emotional, intellectual and spiritual.


Nurse Practitioner II


Vascular and Endovascular Care




Vascular Surgery

Center/Program Affiliation:


Lawrence J. Ellison Ambulatory Care Center
Vascular Center
4860 Y St., Suite 2100
Sacramento, CA 95817
Driving Directions
Phone: 916-734-3800

Additional Phone:

Physician Referrals: 800-4-UCDAVIS (800-482-3284)


A.N.P., M.S.N., UC San Francisco School of Nursing, San Francisco, California, 2005
B.S.N., San Diego State University, San Diego, California, 1983

Board Certifications:

Nurse Practitioner/Adult Health, 2005
Vascular Nursing, 2000

Professional Memberships:

American College of Nurse Practitioners
American Nurses Association
American Nurses Association/California
California Association for Nurse Practitioners
Society for Vascular Nursing

Jonathan Ware

Johnathan Ware

College of Health Spotlight, July 2011


  • Masters of Science in Clinical Laboratory Science, 2002
  • Bachellors of Science in Medical Technology, MUSC, 1994
  • In 2010, Ware was selected to be the Department Head of Standardization Management at the Defense Medical Materiel Program Office, which is responsible for coordinating the standardization of medical products between the Army, Navy, Air Force, and Marine Corps deployable medical units.
  • From 2007- 2009 Ware served as the Laboratory Manager at Naval Hospital Jacksonville, Florida. He provided financial and clinical oversight to the main hospital laboratory, to include the blood bank, and seven branch health clinic laboratories located from Atlanta, Georgia, to Key West, Florida. He also dedicated facilities and staff to assist in training laboratory students for the local community college. Two of his civilian staff members were selected as members of the college’s advisory board for their respected profession.
  • From June – Dec 2008 Ware also served as the Preventive Health Emergency Officer for the Commander, Navy Installations South East, who is responsible for all Navy installations in the area from North Carolina to Cuba to Texas. His duties included provided expert medical recommendations for all public health situations in the region. No small feat considering the 2008 hurricane season produced a record number of consecutive storms to strike the US and the only time a category 3 or higher hurricane was in the Atlantic each month of the hurricane season.
  • In 2004, Ware was awarded the Outstanding Clinical Scientist Award by the Society of Armed Forces Medical Laboratory Scientists.  He has received numerous military awards and citations to include one Air Force Achievement Medal, One Navy Achieve Medal, and Five Navy Commendation medals.
  • Commander Ware’s military medical duties have taken him to Haiti, Germany, Guam, Cuba, and Kuwait.
  • Commander Ware has given several presentations to his peers at the annual SAFMLS conferences and has written articles for the SAFMLS Society Scope.

Ethan R. Ware

Ethan R. Ware


803 799 9800 Main
803 753 3219 Direct Fax
803 753 3278 Main Fax
Download vCard
Columbia, SC Office
1221 Main Street
Suite 1800
Columbia, SC 29201
Diane Flanagan
803 753 3319 Direct




Ethan Ware is a Shareholder at McNair Law Firm. His practice is limited to representation of industry and business in environmental and health and safety legal matters. He has appeared on behalf of business in negotiations relating to environmental permits, in defense of environmental and OSHA enforcement actions by state and federal agencies, in defense of toxic tort lawsuits, and on behalf of industry in criminal and civil environmental actions.

Ethan’s practice also involves review of environmental issues in transactions and environmental and health and safety training and auditing programs. Ethan has an active Southeastern practice and has authored many articles on timely environmental issues for the South Carolina publication, Business Journal, and the South Carolina Law Journal. He is also past President of the South Carolina Bar, Natural Resource Section. He works with Western Carolina Industries, South Carolina Chamber of Commerce, South Carolina Manufacturers Association, the Manufacturers and Chemical Industry Council (Raleigh), South Carolina Mining Association, and other business related trade associations, providing environmental and OSHA counsel and guidance. Ethan is best known for his accomplishments in air, hazardous waste, and wetlands law.

In 2001, EPA withdrew allegations of noncompliance with the Clean Air Act NSPS requirements against a steel mill based on Ethan’s successful arguments on applicability of the coil coating regulations to a coil process. In 1994, he secured an often cited OSWER opinion from EPA that allowed a web coating concern to transfer hazardous waste into multiple containers during treatment without violation of RCRA’s 90-day treatment exemption. Ethan also successfully negotiated a variance to VOC emissions standards (RACT) for a Tennessee paper coater in 1998 allowing the plant to emit three times the regulatory standard of VOCs. In 1992, he received the definitive ruling on South Carolina’s 401 Water Quality Certification regulations,obtaining a decision holding that program violated the Clean Water Act when used as part of a wetland permit review. From 1999-2003, Ethan negotiated site-specific water quality criteria for a river in Mississippi, allowing a discharger in the state to increase permit limits by ten times the permit level.

  • Air Permitting/NSPS Regulations Applicability/PSD Permitting for many manufacturers and secured restrictions on 401 Water Quality Certification Authority
  • Secured beneficial outcomes in OSHA Exposure Case
  • Secured beneficial outcomes in Air Permitting/PSD/Flexible Permitting
  • Secured beneficial outcomes in TSCA Registration
  • Defense of nuclear and solid waste landfill permit appeal
  • Defense of EPA action to fine a company for alleged violations of TSCA premanufacture notification requirements.
  • Successful challenge against State enforcement of 401 water quality standards for wetlands filling project.
  • Successful defense of OSHA benzene exposure allegation and enforcement action.
  • Successfully obtained a variance to State RACT standards for VOC air emissions.
  • Assisted in successfully filing State and Federal voluntary disclosure for environmental violations.

Jerry Ware

Jerry Ware

Jerry Ware

Ph.D., University of Arkansas for Medical Sciences
Office: (501) 526-6096
Lab:  (501) 526-7528

Dr. Ware’s laboratory studies fundamental aspects of platelet biology to elucidate their role of in hemostasis, thrombosis and in the development of cardiovascular disease. Since platelets are anucleate fragments of cytoplasm, in vivo models are used based on the hypothesis that the unique cellular characteristics of megakaryocytes and platelets require the correct in vivo environment for meaningful assessment of biological properties. Currently, we are characterizing variants of the human glycoprotein Ib receptor expressed on the surface of circulating mouse platelets. Methodologies include the generation of transgenic and gene-targeted deletions in the mouse genome. These studies are defining the molecular mechanisms controlling normal platelet generation and the role of specific platelet receptors in disease.

Representative Publications

Yin, H., Stojanovic, A., Xu, W., Corken, A., Zakharov, A., Qian, F., Pavlovic, A., Krbanjevic, A., Lyubimov, A.V., Wang, Z.J., Ware, J., and Du, X.  2013  The role of platelet glycoprotein Ib-IX and effect of an inhibitor of GPIb-IX function in endotoxemia-induced microvascular thrombosis and thrombocytopenia.  Atheroscler Throm Vas Biol.  In Press.

Boulaftali, Y., Hess, P.R., Getz, T.M., Cholka, A., Stolla, M., Mackman, N., Owens, A.P., III, Ware, J., Kahn, M.L., and Bergmeier, W. 2013. Platelet ITAM signaling is critical for vascular integrity in inflammation. J Clin Invest 123:908-916.

Joglekar, M.V., Ware, J., Xu, J., Fitzgerald, M.E., and Gartner, T.K. 2013. Platelets, glycoprotein Ib-IX, and von Willebrand factor are required for FeCl3-induced occlusive thrombus formation in the inferior vena cava of mice. Platelets 24:205-212.

Hillgruber, C., Steingraber, A.K., Poppelmann, B., Denis, C.V., Ware, J., Vestweber, D., Nieswandt, B., Schneider, S.W., and Goerge, T. 2013. Blocking von Willebrand factor for treatment of cutaneous inflammation J Invest Dermatol [Epub adhead of print}

Ware, J., Corken, A., and Khetpal, R. 2013. Platelet function beyond hemostasis and thrombosis. Curr Opin Hematol 20:451-456.

Ware, J. 2013. Give me an intron: any intron. Blood 121:4251-4252.

Blood coverKanaji, T., Ware, J., Okamura, T., and Newman, P.J. 2012. GPIba regulates platelet size by controlling the subcellular localization of filamin. Blood 119:2906-2913. (Selected by Faculty of 1000 as top 2% of published articles in biology and medicine; see commentary in same issue) 


Jarvis, G.E., Bihan, D., Hamaia, S., Pugh, N., Ghevaert, C.J., Pearce, A.C., Hughes, C.E., Watson, S.P., Ware, J., Rudd, C.E. et al 2012. A role for adhesion and degranulation-promoting adapter protein in collagen-induced platelet activation mediated via integrin alpha(2) beta(1). J Thromb Haemost 10:268-277.

Kanaji, S., Kuether, E.L., Fahs, S.A., Schroeder, J.A., Ware, J., Montgomery, R.R., and Shi, Q. 2012. Correction of murine Bernard-Soulier syndrome by lentivirus-mediated gene therapy. Mol Ther 20:625-632.

von Bruhl, M.L., Stark, K., Steinhart, A., Chandraratne, S., Konrad, I., Lorenz, M., Khandoga, A., Tirniceriu, A., Coletti, R., Kollnberger, M. et al 2012. Monocytes, neutrophils, and platelets cooperate to initiate and propagate venous thrombosis in mice in vivo. J Exp Med 209:819-835.

Ziu, E., Mercado, C.P., Li, Y., Singh, P., Ahmed, B.A., Freyaldenhoven, S., Lensing, S., Ware, J., and Kilic, F. 2012. Down-regulation of the serotonin transporter in hyperreactive platelets counteracts the pro-thrombotic effect of serotonin. J Mol Cell Cardiol 52:1112-1121.

Ware, J. 2012. Fragmenting the platelet to reduce metastasis. Blood 120:2779-2780.

Ware, J., and Jain, S. 2012. Tumor growth and metastasis. In Platelets A.Michelson, editor. Elsevier. Amsterdam. 803-810.

Ware, J., and Suva, L.J. 2011. Platelets to hemostasis and beyond. Blood 117:3703-3704.

Boilard, E., Larabee, K., Shnayder, R., Jacobs, K., Farndale, R.W., Ware, J., and Lee, D.M. 2011. Platelets participate in synovitis via Cox-1-dependent synthesis of prostacyclin independently of microparticle generation. J Immunol 186:4361-4366.

Veeraputhiran, M., Ware, J., Dent, J., Bornhorst, J., Post, G., Cottler-Fox, M., Pesek, G., Theus, J., and Nakagawa, M. 2011. A comparison of washed and volume-reduced platelets with respect to platelet activation, aggregation, and plasma protein removal. Transfusion 51:1030-1036.

Othman, M., Lopez, J.A., and Ware, J. 2011. Platelet-type von Willebrand disease update: the disease, the molecule and the animal model. Expert Rev Hematol 4:475-477.

Li, C., Piran, S., Chen, P., Lang, S., Zarpellon, A., Jin, J.W., Zhu, G., Reheman, A., van der Wal, D.E., Simpson, E.K. et al 2011. The maternal immune response to fetal platelet GPIba causes frequent miscarriage in mice that can be prevented by intravenous IgG and anti-FcRn therapies. J Clin Invest 121:4537-4547.

Boilard, E., Nigrovic, P.A., Larabee, K., Watts, G.F., Coblyn, J.S., Weinblatt, M.E., Massarotti, E.M., Remold-O’Donnell, E., Farndale, R.W., Ware, J. et al 2010. Platelets amplify inflammation in arthritis via collagen-dependent microparticle production. Science 327:580-583.  (Selected by Faculty of 1000 as one of the top 5 biology reports of 2010; see commentary in the same issue) 

Jain, S., and Ware, J. 2010. The hemostasis/thrombosis paradigm in cancer. Hematology Education: the education program for the annual congress of the European Hematology Association 4:302-305.

Jain, S., Harris, J., and Ware, J. 2010. Platelets: linking hemostasis and cancer. Arterioscler Thromb Vasc Biol 30:2362-2367.

Schmaier, A.A., Zou, Z., Kazlauskas, A., Emert-Sedlak, L., Fong, K.P., Neeves, K.B., Maloney, S.F., Diamond, S.L., Kunapuli, S.P., Ware, J., Brass, L.F., Smithgall, T.E., Saksela, K., and Kahn, M.L.  2009  Molecular priming of Lyn by GPVI enables an immune receptor to adopt a hemostatic role.  Proc Natl Acad Sci USA, 106:21167-21172.

Blood CoverGuerrero, J.A., Kyei, M., Russell, S., Liu, J., Gartner, T.K., Storrie, B., and Ware, J.  2009  Visualizing the von Willebrand factor/glycoprotein Ib-IX axis with a platelet-type von Willebrand disease mutation.  BLOOD, 114:5541-5546. (Cover Art for the same issue)


Fontana, G., Ware, J., and Cattaneo, M. 2009  Haploinsufficiency of the platelet P2Y12 gene in a family with congenital bleeding diathesis.  Haematologia, 94:581-584.

Jain, S., Russell, S., and Ware, J. 2009 Platelet glycoprotein VI facilitates experimental lung metastasis in syngenic mouse models. J Thromb Haemost. 7:1713-1717. (see Commentary in the same issue, pg 1712)

Suva, L.J., Hartman, E., Dilley, J.D., Russell, S., Akel, N.S., Skinner, R.A., Budde, U., Varughese, K.I., Kanaji, T. and Ware, J.  2008  Platelet dysfunction and a high bone mass phenotype in a murine model of platelet-type von Willebrand disease. Am J Pathology, 172:430-439.

Cheli, Y., Jensen, D., Marchese, P., Habart, D., Wiltshire, T., Cooke, M., Fernandez, J.A., Ware, J., Ruggeri, Z.M. and Kunicki, T.J.  2008  The Modifier of Hemostasis (MH) locus on mouse chromosome 4 controls in vivo hemostasis of Gp6-/- mice.  BLOOD, 111:1266-1273.

Guerrero, J.A., Shafirstein, G., Russell, S., Kanaji, T., Liu, J., Gartner, T.K., Baumler, W., Jarvis, G.E. and Ware, J.  2008 In vivo relevance for platelet glycoprotein Ibα Tyr276 in thrombus formation. J Thromb Haemost.,  6:684-691.

Liu, J., Joglekar, M., Ware, J., Fitzgerald, M.E.C., Lowell, C.A., Berndt, M.C., and Gartner, T.K.  2008 Evaluation of the physiological significance of botrocetin/von Willebrand factor in vitro signaling.  J Thromb Haemost.,  6:1915-1922.

Nishikii, H., Eto, K., Tamura, N., Hattori, K., Heissig, B., Kanaji, T., Sawaguchi, A., Goto, S., Ware, J. and Nakauchi, H.  2008  Metalloproteinase regulation improves in vitro generation of efficacious platelets from mouse embryonic stem cells.  J Exp Medicine, 208:1917-1927. (see Commentary in same issue, pg 1717.