Added by: Jeaneen
Find A Grave photo
WARE, HORACE, iron manufacturer, was born April 11, 1812, in Lynn, Mass., and Died July, 1890, in Birmingham; son of Jonathan and Roxana (Howe) Ware, residents of Massachusetts, New York, North Carolina and Alabama, locating in Bibb County.
Mr. Ware received his early education in his native state and in North Carolina, whither he had gone in childhood with his parents.
He learned the iron business from his father, who erected a water power forge in Bibb County, later selling it to his son. In 1840 he bought the iron ore beds in Shelby County, and in a few years erected a cold blast furnace for the manufacture of pig iron, the first, or at most, the second furnace plant in Alabama. The product was hauled six miles by wagon to the Coosa river and placed on flat boats bound for Montgomery, Prattville and Mobile. He manufactured all kinds of cooking utensils, heating and cooking stoves.
He was the pioneer mill operator in the State, beginning in 1859, the erection of a mill for the manufacture of iron bars and cotton ties. In 1865, Federal troops under G. Wilson destroyed this property, but it was later rebuilt by northern capital. After a connection of forty years, he sold his interest in 1881.
He purchased, during the early sixties, iron properties in Talladega County, forming in 1872, a partnership with Col. S.S. Glidden, of Ohio, and organized the Alabama iron company.
In 1881 , A.L. Tyler and Samuel Noble of Anniston, purchased Mr Glidden’s interest, the new company being called the Clifton iron company. In 1888, he sold his holdings to his partners, having four years earlier become interested in Sheffield, being president of the fist furnace erected at that place.
In 1881, he bought Kelly furnace, near Jefferson, Texas, where he manufactured car wheel iron, but in 1883, he sold his property. Being familiar with the mineral resources of the State he foresaw the development of the region and predicted the splendid things that have since developed.
Married: (1) to Martha A. Woodruff, (2) in Columbiana, to Mary, daughter of George and Matilda T. ( Roper) Harris, the former a native of Monroe County, Tenn., a lawyer who lived in McMinn County, Tenn…
Mrs. Ware was the author of a volume of poems that were published in 1911 in Birmingham. She also contributed for twenty years to ‘The South.’ published in New Your city.
There were seven children by the first marriage. Last residence: Birmingham.
Source: History of Alabama and dictionary of Alabama biography, Vol. 4, by Thomas McAdory Owen, LL.D., Chicago, The S.J. Publishing Co., 1921, pages 1726-1727