“Jasper Anderson Ware, deceased, was born in Todd county Ky., Mar. 5, 1831, and died at his home in Nebraska City, Neb., Nov. 21, 1900.
His father, Edmund Ware, was born in Frankfort, Ky., in 1797, removed to Todd county in 1826, where he died in 1852, possessed of a large estate. He married Louisa B.” ( correction is V.) “, who came from an old Virginia family.
Jasper A. Ware received his early education in his native county, and at the age of nineteen years engaged in the mercantile business in Trenton, Ky., with his older brother, Charles W. Ware.” (See story about Charles W. on this website.) He remained there until 1857 when he removed to Nebraska City, Neb., and invested heavily in land.
Two years later he engaged in the banking business, which he continued until 1871. In 1866 he established a branch of the Bank of Omaha in company with Posey S. Wilson and John W. Hugus, which was operated in connection with the Nebraska City bank until 1870. This is now the Merchants Nation Bank of Omaha.
Mr. Ware was a practical business man who foresaw the development of the country, and invested heavily in real estate. He met with reverses in 1871, and was forced to close his bank . He turned over to his creditors all his real estate and personal property, which amounted to $188,000.
He retired to his farm, ‘Wildwood,’ near Nebraska City, which under his care became one of the most beautiful small farms in Otoe county.
Mr. Ware was a member of St. Mary’s Episcopal church of Nebraska City and for many years senior warden.
He was married Oct. 10, 1861, to Ellen Hall Kinney, second daughter of John F. Kinney. Four children were born to them: Florence I., wife of Richard S. Hall, a prominent attorney of Omaha; Ellen; Grace Louise; and Norton Ware, the latter a graduate of the civil engineering department of the Nebraska state university.
Mrs. Ware resides with her family at Nebraska City, Neb.”
Source: Illustrated History of Nebraska, Vol. II, by J. Sterling Morton, Lincoln Jacob North and Company, 1906, page 313