“WARE, William Robert, architect, was born in Cambridge Mass., May 27, 1832, son of Rev. Henry Ware, Jr., at that time professor in the Divinity School of Harvard University.
After spending the summer of 1846 with relatives in England, he entered Phillips Exeter Academy, where he remained a year and a half.
In 1852, he was graduated at Harvard College and spent two years as a private tutor in New York, and two years in the Lawrence Scientific School.
In 1856 he entered the office of Messrs. J.E. and E.C. Cabot, architects; in 1859 was a student in the private atelier which Richard M. Hunt maintained for a few years in New York and in 1860 began his architectural work in conjunction with the eminent civic engineer E.S. Philbrick.
From 1863 to 1881, he was in partnership with Henry Van Brunt who had been one of his fellow pupils at Mr. Hunt’s. The principal buildings erected by Ware and Van Brunt were the First Church in Boston, the Union Railroad Station at Worcester and the Episcopal Theological School, Weld Hall and the Memorial Hall, and Sanders Theatre at Cambridge.
In 1865 Mr. Ware was appointed professor of architecture at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Boston and in the summer of 1865, went abroad to collect material and study foreign methods of architectural education, returning in December of 1867.”(1)
“He designed the American School of Classical Studies at Athens, Greece…”(2)
” In May, 1881, he resigned his position receiving from the trustees of Columbia College an appointment as professor in the school of Mines.” (1)
“In 1881, he became a trustee for the Metropolitan Museum, New York.” (2)
Source: (1) The National cyclopedia of American biography, Vol. 8, by George Derby and James T. White, James T. White and Co., New York, 1898, pages 471-2
(2) The New International Encyclopedia, Vol. 20. edited by Gilman, Peck, Colby, New York, Dodd and Meade Co., 1906, page 293