“CHARLES M. WESTCOTT was born in Scituate, Rhode Island, Aug. 7th, 1822. In 1852 he removed to Dunkirk, Chautauqua Co., N.Y., where he remained three months. He then came to Pekin, in Taswell Co., Ill., and spent several weeks in carpenter work, having served as apprenticeship as a carpenter in his native State. He then came, in the Autum of 1852, to Montgomery Co., Ill., spent a few weeks with his cousin, Nelson Steere, contracted for two-hundred acres of land one mile north of Butler, returned on horse-back to Rhode Island and remained there one year.
He then came back to Montgomery Co., staid a few weeks and returned to Rhode Island and remained there two years.
In March, 1856, he came again to Montgomery Co. and improved the farm north of Butler, boarding at different places in the community.
On the 12th of Dec. 1861, at Ware’s Grove, near Butler Ill., he was united in marriage with Miss Betsey Ware, who was born at Ware’s Grove, Aug. 19th 1838, and is the daughter of Obediah and Electra Ware.
In Feb. 1862, a few weeks after marriage, Mr. Westwood and his wife went to North Scituate, Rhode Island, and remained there until May 1865, when they returned to Montgomery Co., Ill. Mr. Westcott then built house in Butler and lived there for about five years. He then removed to his farm north of Butler and remained there one year.
In the Spring of 1871 he removed to the farm which he improved and where he now resides at Ware’s Grove N.E. of Butler. Charles Westcott made a public profession of religion in North Scituate, R.I., at about the age of forty-two, and connected himself with Freewill Baptist Church, and on locating at Butler, Ill., united with the M.E. Church of that place, and since removing to Ware’s Grove, he and his wife united with the Montgomery M.E. Church five miles N.E. of Butler.
The children of Charles M. and Betsey Westcott are as follows:
Thomas K., born Sept. 20th, 1965
Eliza W., born Jan. 14th, 1864.
Lillie E., born July 22nd, 1869.
Mary Grace, born Sept 6th, 1872.”
Source: Semi-centenarians of Butler Grove Township, Montgomery Col Illinois, by Rev. Thomas E. Spilman, Sept. 1878, pages 98-9