C.E. Ware was born in the city of Buffalo, New York, March 15, 1849, son of George M. and Anna (Kelly) Ware, both natives of that same state, the former of whom is still living, a prominent resident of Faribault county, this state. George M. Ware was a buggy-maker in Buffalo. About 1858 he moved to Medina county, Ohio, where he lived until 1862, in which year he and his family joined the tide of emigration that then was setting in so ‘strongly towards the Northwest’ and came to Minnesota, set ling in Blue Earth county. The next year, 1863, he moved down to Faribault county, where he had taken a homestead in the year before, and there he established his home, becoming on of the most substantial and influential pioneers of that section. George M. Ware, who is still living on his old homestead in Faribault county, has been married twice. To his union to Ana Kelly two children were from, C.E. and Catherine. Upon the death of the other of these children, Mr. Ware married Lydia Mattingly and to this second union three children were born, Eva, Francis and William Vincent.
C.E. Ware was about nine years old when his parents moved from Buffalo to Ohio and was about thirteen when they came to Minnesota in 1862, He completed his schooling in this state and early learned the carpenter trade, becoming a building contractor, which business he followed until 1900, his last contract having been the completion of an eighteenthousand-dollar residence. It was in 1900 that C.E. bought a quarter of a section of partly-improved land in Lakeside township, Cottonwood county, and there established his home, becoming on of the most progressive farmers, and stockmen thereabout. He erected practically all the buildings on the place with the exception of the dwelling, including a fine barn and a silo, and bought the farm up to a high state of productivity. In addition to his general farming, Mr. Ware went in somewhat extensively for stock raising, with particular attention to the raising of pure-bred Shorthorn cattle and did very well. He named his farm ‘Clover Leaf Stock Farm,’ and there he made his home until 1915, in which year he rented the place to his son Mark C. Ware, … and he and his wife retired to the village of Bingham Lake, where they are now living.
The elder Mr. Ware is independent in his political views and has for years given close attention to local political affairs. During his long residence at Mapleton he served for some time as a member of the village council and for six years was village justice. He also served for seven years as chairman of the township board and in other ways did his part in the public service. His wife is a member of the Methodist church and he has ever been a contributor to the beneficences of the same.
It was on December 6, 1874, that C.E. Ware was united in marriage to Eliza Jane Moore, who was born in Fond du Lac county, Wisconsin, December 20, 1851, daughter of Henry and Sallie (Clark) Moore, and to this union five children have been born, George H. Grace, Mark C., Florence and May L.”
Source: History of Cottonwood and Watonwan Cos., Minnesota, Vol. 2, by John A. Brown, B.F. Brown and Co., Inc. Indianapolis, Indiana, 1916, pages 169-170