William H. Ware Obituary, 1920

Note:  This article was published in the Montgomery Advertiser, Feb. 2, 1920.  The article was sent by Marti Martin of the Woodford County Historical Society.

‘William H. Ware’s Death


He Was for More Than Fifty Years Resident of Montgomery.

Mr. William H. Ware died at his home on Wilson Street in the city at 7:30 o’clock  yesterday morning.

In his death Montgomery loses one of its oldest and best citizens.  He was born in Augusta, Ga., April, 1834, and in 1836, when only two years old, came to Montgomery County with his father, the late Major Robert D. Ware, and within its borders he spent the rest of his useful an honorable life.  He commenced business in this city in 1865, and as long as his health permitted, was an active, busy man.  During the greater portion of the time he was connected with the crockery and hardware trade, and but few men were better known to those connected with those interests.

When the war of 1861 began, Mr. Ware volunteered, and in the army, as in private life, was faithful to every trust, and ever ready to discharge every duty that fell upon him.  He was first-lieutenant of the company originally commanded by Col. D.S. Troy, and went with his command into all the dangers and trials of campaigns in Tennessee and Kentucky and the last year of strife in Virginia.  There was no better soldier in the Confederate army or one whose conduct and example tended more to give hope and confidence to those around him.

When he returned home in 1865, he at once went to work and continued until stricken down in January, 1897, with an attack of paralysis.  He was in Bullock County when, without warning, the blow came upon him.  He was able to come back to his home that night, and by the attention of loving hearts and hands he was sufficiently restored to have partial use of his limbs.  Occasionally he could leave home and get down town, but for the past year or more was confined to the house and wheeled carriage.  He was, in spite of his heavy affliction, always bright and cheerful, and never complained or murmured.  About 10 o’clock last Monday night, with fearful suddeness he was again stricken and never rallied.  There was but little hope after that, and, as announced above, he breathed his last surrounded by the loved ones who had so long and so devotedly watched over him.

Mr. Ware for fifty years was a member of the First Presbyterian Church of this city, and for over thirty years was one of its deacons.  Whenever his health permitted, he was always present at the services.  His walk and conduct were perfectly consistent with his religious  professions.  During all his sickness he exhibited wonderful faith and Christian resignation.

A good and useful man has passed away.  He enjoyed the affectionate regard of a wide circle of devoted friends, who sincerely sympathize with the distressed members of his family.  He is survived by his wife, one son, Mr. Gerald Ware and one daughter, Miss Mary Dawson Ware.

The funeral will take place at the First Presbyterian Church at 11 o’clock this morning…”

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


By submitting a comment here you grant this site a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution.