Note: Information from the family history files of Raymond Martin Ware.
Biography of Bert L. Ware, M. D.
by Mrs. Joe E. Coker
Bert L. Ware, M. D. was born September 24, 1883, on a farm two miles east of Greenwood, Arkansas. He was the second son, and one of six children born to Mr. and Mrs. George L. Ware, who were one of the Pioneer families of this area.
Dr. Ware was educated in the schools of Greenwood, Arkansas, the University of Arkansas in Fayetteville, and was graduated from the Universitv of Arkansas School of Medicine in Little Rock in 1909.
In 1910 he married Miss Bessie Chandler, daughter of Mr. and Mrs. B. E. Chandler of Greenwood. They had three children, two boys and one girl. The older son, Earl, is owner and manager of the Kettle Smoke House in Springdale, Arkansas. Dr. Prentiss Ware, the second son, is an Oral Surgeon in Fort Smith, Arkansas. The daughter, Esther Marie, is married to Joe Coker and also resides in Fort Smith, Arkansas.
Dr. Ware started his medical practice in 1910 in Jenny Lind, Arkansas, then a thriving mining community. In 1912 he opened his office in Greenwood, Arkansas, where he served the people of South Sebastian County. For six years he traveled many miles by horse and buggy making his daily calls, delivering babies, setting broken bones, and tending the sick wherever he was needed. In 1915 he acquired his first Model T Ford.
During the terrible flue epidemic of 1918, Dr. Ware worked day and night doctoring the many families who were critically ill. His wife relates that at this time, he went for a period of two and one-half days without sleeping or taking off his clothes.
Dr. Ware was active as an educational leader, having served eleven years on the County Board of Education, four of which he served as Chairman. He was an active member of the Methodist Church and served for many years as Chairman of their Official Board. During World War I, he was a Medical Examiner for the local Selective Service Board of Sebastian County.
He was an officer and director of the Farmers Bank of Greenwood. As a Thirty-Second Degree Mason, he took an active part in the work of the masonry.
Dr. Ware was a former President of the Sebastian County Medical Society and a member of the Arkansas State Medical Society. He served in various offices and on committees for both of these organizations. He wrote several articles that appeared in The Journal of the Arkansas Medical Societv. One of the articles appeared in the October 1932 issue, entitled, ‘The General Practitioner and Family Physician”. Dr. Ware was a man of conviction, not afraid to express himself for the cause of right and morality.