” ‘Ware’s Valley Monthly’ was first published by Charles E. Ware & Co. The first number appeared in May, 1875. It was edited by the Rev. William M. Leftwich, and was devoted to literature, religion, history and general miscellany. Its list of contributors included the names of Edward Willett, Professor John L. Tracy,T. Berry Smith, Britton A. Hill, Bishop Marvin, E.L. McDowell, Professor C.M. Woodward, and Honorable Joseph A. Dacus, of St. Louis; Mrs. Mary Patton Hudson, Colonel R.S. Bevier and Dr. Charles L. Carter, Missouri; J. Henry Shaw and Albert F. Bridges, Illinois; Fanny B. Ward, A.P. Parker and others. In 1875 it passed into the hands of a stock company composed of Honorable Samuel T. Glover, Charles E. Ware, Judge Edward A. Lewis, Rev. William M. Leftwich, Captain Silas Bent, Britton A. Hill, Honorable Joseph A. Dacus and Thomas O. Akers, who sold it to General M.T. Wright in 1876. It contained eighty pages of reading matter. Its purpose was generally of a higher grade than can be found in the average Western magazine, but its poetry was simply inexcusable. It suspended in 1876.”
Source: Encyclopedia of the History of Missouri, by Howard Louis Conrad, Vol. 4, The Southern History Company, New York, Louisville, St. Louis, 1901, page 164.