”DAVID ANDREW SCOTT, Proprietor of the Union Laundry, was born in Gait, Ontario, Canada, November 20, 1853. Adam Scott, father of David A. Scott, was born in Scotland, January 10, 1803, and died in Lawrence, Massachusetts, August 12, 1869. He was purchasing agent for the Grand Trunk Railroad Company in Canada. He married Ellen Morris, who was born in Scotland, in 1818, and died in Lawrence, June 12, 1892, aged seventy-four years. They had twelve children, of whom but the two younger are now living: David A., and James R. Scott, a druggist in this city, one of whose sons, Charles H., is in the United States Navy, the other, Chester, is in business in this city. Adam Scott came with three brothers and a sister to Gait, Canada, in 1831, and settled there in what was then a wilderness. Their grandchildren are now among the leading citizens of that town.
David A. Scott attended the public schools of his native town until 1866, when the family moved to Lawrence, Massachusetts, where he continued in the public schools for a short time. He then became a clerk in the grocery store of his brother, Adam, in Lawrence, after working for three years in the mills and driving a baker’s wagon for two years. For a year or so he was in the retail tea business on his own account.
Mr. Scott came to this city in October, 1886, and inaugurated the clean towel supply business, of which he was a pioneer in this section of the country. He began on a small scale for want of capital. His laundry was equipped with one washboard, a tub and wringer. At first he made the rounds on foot to serve his patrons, carrying the towels on his shoulder. As business grew, his equipment increased and he moved from the small tenement at No. 8 Smith court to No. in Chandler street, later to a small store on Prescott street. Here he added space from time to time, as his business grew, until he occupied the three floors of the building. In 1892 J. H. Dawson became a partner in the business, but retired therefrom in 1898. In 1890 Mr. Scott established a mechanics laundry to clean and repair overalls and blouses. For many years the business has been conducted under the name of the Union Laundry and Clean Towel Supply Company. The business is incorporated, Mr. Scott being president; Janet A. Cairns, treasurer. In 1907 the present location was occupied at No. 115 Exchange street. Mr. Scott has a modern laundry in every respect, perhaps the largest in the city, employing at present one hundred and seventeen hands. The building has a frontage of ninety-five feet and the business occupies four spacious floors.
In politics Mr. Scott is a Republican. In 1913 and 1914 he was a member-at-large of the Board of Aldermen of Worcester and in this position gave further evidence of his business ability, his love for the city and his interest in its prosperity. Few men have given more loyal and useful service in the Board of Aldermen. In social life Mr. Scott has been popular. He is a member of Morning Star Lodge, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons; Worcester Chapter, Royal Arch Masons; Hiram Council, Royal and Select Masters; Worcester County Commandery, Knights Templar ; Massachusetts Consistory (thirty-second degree); and Aleppo Temple, Order of the Mystic Shrine. He is also a member of Quinsigamond Tribe, Improved Order of Red Men; Freedom Lodge, Knights of Pythias; Central Lodge, Mt. Vernon Encampment, and Canton Worcester, Patriarchs Militant, Independent Order of Odd Fellows. He is assistant inspector general of the Massachusetts Patriarchs Militant with the rank of major. He has been chief of the Order of Scottish Clans and grand chief of the Clan of Massachusetts; member of the Royal Clan, representing the International body. He is past commander of the Bay State Commandery, Knights of Malta. He is past chief of the Worcester Caledonia Club. He has been president of the Worcester Laundrymen’s Club; is a member of the National Laundrymen’s Association, the Massachusetts Laundrymen’s Association, the Worcester Chamber of Commerce, and is also a contributing member of the Young Men’s Christian Association.
Mr. Scott married, February 8, 1880, Mary Elizabeth Ware, who was born in Amesbury, Massachusetts, daughter of William and Rebecca (Healey) Ware, both natives of England. Mr. and Mrs. Scott reside at No. 34 Midland street, and have a summer residence, ‘Bonnie Doone Cottage,’ No. 53 Seafoam avenue, Winthrop, Massachusetts. They have one daughter, Ellen Rebecca, widow of W. J. Nason, now living with her parents; she was born in Lawrence, Massachusetts, March 9, 1885; Mrs. Nason has a daughter, Mary Victoria, born May 24, 1909, at Winthrop, Massachusetts.”
Source: History of Worcester ad Its People, Vol. 4, by Charles Nutt, Lewis Historical Publishing Co., New York City, 1919, page 500