Maine State Yearbook and Legislative Manual, 1887

ANDROSCOGGIN COUNTY.

Formed from Cumberland, Oxford, Kennebec, and Lincoln. Incorporated March 18,1854—Eleven towns and two cities. Auburn, shire town. Population—1830, 19,861; 1840, 22,532; 1850, 25,748; 1860, 29,726. 1870,36,860; 1880, 45,044. Area, 400 square miles. Valuation, 1860—Polls, 6651. Estates, 88,230,892; 1870—Polls, 7894; Estates, $17,692,655; 1880—Polls, 10312; Estates, $20,776,973.

CITY OF LEWISTON.

One mile from Auburn and 34i from Portland, on M. C. and G. T. R. Formerly called Lewistown. First settled, 1770. Incorporated the 95th town Feb. IS, 1795. Incorporated as a city March 15,1861, and organized March 16, 1863. Population, 1830—1549; 1810, 1801; 1860, 4584; 1860, 7424; 1870,13,600; 1880,19.083. Valuation, 1860—Polls, 1217; Estates, $2,426,374; 1870—Polls, 2258; Estates, $8,813,629; 1880—Polls, 3452; Estates, $9,521,103.

BRICK MANUFACTURERS.

Ware, Levi S., yard n. Jepson brook

CUMBERLAND COUNTY.

Originally embraced Androscoggin, Franklin, and parts of Oxford, Kennebec, and Somerset. Incorporated, 1760. Twenty-five towns, one city, Portland, shire town. Population—1830, 60,102; 1840, 68,658; 1850,79,538; 1860, 75,591; 1870, 82,021; H80, 86,360. Valuation, 1800-Polls, 15,098; Estates, $32,361,035; 1870—Polls, 19,812; Estates, $48,942,323; 1880— Polls, 21.639; Estates, $51,530,510.

CITY OF PORTLAND.

Originally a part of ancient Falmouth. First settled by George Cleeves and Richard Tucker in 1632. Ancient Indian name, Machigonne. Settlement entirely destroyed in 1676, during the first Indian war, and resettled 1680, under Pres. Danforth. The town was again destroyed by the French and Indians in 1690. After the conclusion of peace, some of the inhabitants began to return, and, about 1713, the settlement had regained something of its early prosperity, and a gradual and steady progress was made from this time. In 1727, March 7, a church was organized, the first on the east of Saco river, over which Rev. Thomas Smith was then ordained the pastor. In 1733, Robert Bayley was employed as schoolmaster. In 1735, it was made half shire town with York, and continued as such, until the incorporation of Cumberland County, 1760, when it became the shire town of that county. On the admission of Maine into the Union, in 1820, Portbind became the seat of government and continued as such, until its removal to Augusta in 1831. Early in the war of the Revolution, the town suffered a third time from the ravages of war, being bombarded by the British fleet under Capt. Mowatt, Oct. 18,1775, and almost completely destroyed. Portland was incorporated as a town July 4,1786, and adopted a city charter March 26,1832. Suffered from a terrible fire July 4th adn 6th, 1866, in which nearly one third of the city was destroyed. Population—1790, 2246; 1850,22,815; 1860, 26,341; 1870,31,413; 1880, 33,810. Valuation, 1860—Polls, 4244; Estates, $17,866,000; 1870—Polls, 7814; Estates, $29,439,257; 1880—Polls, 8529; Estates, $30,437,541.

CLOTHING.

BOSTON & PORTLAND CLOTHING CO., W. C. Ware, manager, 253 and 266 Middle.

HANCOCK COUNTY.

Incorporated June 25,1789. Named from Gov. Hancock, of Mass. Portions taken in 1816 to form Penobscot, and in 1827, to form Waldo. Ellsworth, shire town since Feb. 17,1837. Population—1830, 22,553; 1840, 28,646; 1850,34,372; 1860,37,757; 1870,36,495; 1880.38,131. Valuation, 1830—Polls, 7,810; Estates, $6,520,694. 1870—Polls, 8,311; Estates, $7,554,073. 1880—Polls, 9,660; Estates, $8,277,966.

[ocr errors]

Justices–A.H. Ware, March 16, 1882

KENNEBEC COUNTY.

Incorporated the sixth county Feb. 20,1799. Somerset county took fourfifths of its territory in 1809; Waldo took four towns from its east in 1S27; Franklin took five towns upon its north-west, in 1838; Androscoggin took four towns from its west in 1854. Contains twenty-five towns and three cities. Augusta, shire town. Population, 1830, 38,929; 1840, 51384; 1850, 57,908; 1860, 55,665; 1870. 53,223; 1880, 53,061. Valuation, 1860—Polls, 11,684; Estates, $15,273,355; 1870—Polls, 12,024; Estates, 821,004,034; 1880—Polls, 13,252; Estates, $23,292,164.

WINDSOR.

Ten miles E. of Augusta. On stage-lines from Augusta to Belfast and from Augusta to Waldoborough. First settled, 1790. Incorporated March 8,1809, under the name of Malta, which was changed to Gerry In 1R20, and to tho present name in 1822. Population—1850, 1793; 1860, 1548; 1870, 1266; 1880, 1079. Valuation, 1860—Polls, 313; Estates, 8274,001; 1870— Polls, 284; Estates, $262,212; 1880—Polls, 279; Estates, 8302,088.

Postmasters—Wm. Ware; West

WATERVILLE.

Eighteen miles N. of Augusta and eighty from Portland. On Maine Central Railroad. Formerly part of Winslow. Incorporated the 138th town June 23, 1802. Colby University incorporated as a literary and theological institution, 1813. Chartered as a college, 1821, and as a university, 1867. Population—1850, 3964; 1860,4392; 1870, 4852; 1880, 4672. Valuation, 1860 —Polls, 870; Estates, $1,348,330; 1870 —Polls, 901; Estates, $1,904,017; 1880—Polls, 1,042; Estates, $2,612,496.

Insurance-Fire–John Ware

Merchants National Bank, Waterville, John Ware

KNOX COUNTY.

Formed from Lincoln and Waldo. Incorporated 1860, and named for Gen. Henry Knox, ” the friend of Washington,” whose residence was at Thomaston. Contains fourteen towns, one city, and one organized plantation. Kockland, shire town. Population—1850, 28,365; 1860,82,716; 1870,30,823: 1880,32,862. Valuation. 1800—Polls,7271: Estates,$ 9,212,829; 1870—Polls, 7609; Estates, $10,507,542; 1880—Polls, 9087; Estates, $10,878,736.

VINALHAVEN.

Fifteen miles E. of Rockland. First called South Fox Island. First permanent settlement, 1765. Incorporated, June 25,1789, and named in honor of John Vinal, Esq., of Boston. North Haven set ofl, 1846. Population—1850,1252; I860. 1687; 1870,1851; 1880,2855. Valuation, 1860—Polls, 324; Estates, $198,803; 1870—Polls, 402; Estates, $264,900; 1880—Polls  783; Estates. $470,514.

Selectmen–Fred J. Ware

 

LINCOLN COUNTY.

WHITEFIELD.

Eighteen miles N.N.E. of Wiscasset. On Augusta and Rockland stage-line. Settled about 1770. Western part of Ballstown until incorp. June 19, 1809, and named in honor of Rev. George Whitefield. Population—1860, 2158; 1860,1883; 1870, 1694; 1880,1511. Valuation, 1860—Polls, 418; Estates, $392,809; 1870—Polls, 356; Estates, $441,846; 1880—Polls, 392; Estates, $440,974.

Manufacturers–R.A. Ware, coffins and caskets

SOMERSET COUNTY.

Formerly the northern part of Kennebec. Incorporated March 1, 1809. Portions of it have been given to Franklin, Piscataquis, and Aroostook. Skowhegan, shire town. Population—1830, 36,787; 1840, 33,912; 1850, 35,581; 1860, 30,753: 1870, 34,611; 1880, 32,339. Valuation, 1860- Polls, 7507; Estates, 87,136,994; 1870—Polls, 8169; Estates, $10,048,159; 1880— Polls, 8698; Estates, $12,128,878.

ANSON.

Ten miles N. W. of Skowhegan. Terminus of Somerset Railroad. Originally called township No. 1. Incorporated Mar. 1,1798. Divided and North Anson incorporated March 20, 1845. Reunited March 13, 1856. Anson Academy, inc. Feb. 28, 1823. Population—1850, 2016; 1860, 2001; 1870, 1745; 1880, 1655. Valuation, 1860—Polls, 386; Estates, $449,911; 1870— Polls, 414; Estates, $554,407; 1889—Polls, 447; Estates, $585 080.

Lawyers–North, A.H. Ware

 

 

STATE INSTITUTIONS.

Maine Industrial School for Girls.Hallowell.

Incorporated February 29,1872. Organized November 12,1872.
Board Of Managers, 1887-88.

Trustees.
Mrs. Sarah M. Ware, Waterville.
SECRETARIES OF STATE.
1820, Ashur Ware, Portland
Reference Data:

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

*

By submitting a comment here you grant this site a perpetual license to reproduce your words and name/web site in attribution.