C.M. WARE, M. D.—A well known physician, surgeon and farmer of West Liberty, Howard county, Dr. Ware was born in Henry county, Indiana, on the 23d of July, 1844, and upon his father’s farm was reared to manhood. He acquired his preliminary education in the common schools, and on attaining his majority determined to devote his energies to professional life. In the meantime, however, he had served his country as one of the defenders of the Union in the Civil war. At the age of nineteen he responded to the call of his country for troops and joined the boys in blue of Company A, One Hundred and Thirty-seventh Indiana Infantry, which was assigned to service with the Army of the Cumberland. When his term of enlistment had expired he was mustered out, in the fall of 1864, in Indianapolis, and received an honorable discharge. Soon afterward he entered the service of the government as teamster and remained at the front in that capacity until the close of the war.
When hostilities had ceased the Doctor returned to his father’s farm, but his health had become so impaired as the result of exposure and hardships of army life that he was unfit to engage in the labor of tilling the fields and took up the study of medicine in the office and under the guidance of Drs. William and James Scott, of Greentown. He also accompanied them on many of their professional visits and thus gained considerable practical knowledge while acquiring a comprehensive understanding of the principles and theories of the science of medicine. In the winter of 1866-67 he was a student in Rush Medical College, of Chicago, and then returning to Howard county he engaged in practice for two years. On the expiration of that period, in order to further perfect himself in the practice of medicine, he entered the Indianapolis Medical College, where he pursued a full course and was graduated in 1870. He then located in West Liberty, where he has since remained, and his pronounced ability and the close attention which he has given to his business, have enabled him to build up a very large and lucrative practice. He is a close student of his profession and his progressive spirit prompts him to keep in touch with the advancement which is continually being made by the representatives of the medical science. Neglect of patients can never be charged to his account, and in the performance of each day’s duty he finds inspiration and strength for the labors of the next. These sterling qualities of the successful physician have not only brought him a large practice but have won him the confidence and commendation of the profession, and he holds marked prestige among the members of the medical fraternity in this locality. The Doctor owns a good residence in West Liberty and also a valuable farm, from which he derives a good income.
It will be interesting in this connection to note something of the family of Dr. Ware, for his parents, William and Lucinda (Main) Ware, were pioneer settlers of Howard county. His father was a native of Ohio, his mother of Indiana, and they were married in Henry county, where they began their domestic life upon a farm, remaining there until 1847, when they came to Howard county. Here the father entered land from the government, and developed a farm, which he later sold and purchased the farm which is now the property of the Doctor. He carried on agricultural pursuits throughout his entire life, and was an energetic, industrious man. His father was John A. Ware, a native of New Jersey, who removed from that state to Ohio, and afterward to Henry county, Indiana, while in 1847 he took up his residence in Howard county. Here he made a claim, purchasing the same from the government, and transformed the wild tract into rich and fertile fields. Upon that farm he made his home until his death, which occurred in 1865. William Ware, the father of our subject, died in 1865, but his widow still survives, at the age of seventy-four, and is a well-preserved old lady. She is a faithful member of the New-Light or Christian church, to which her husband also belonged. Their family numbered eight children: C. M.; Caroline, wife of C. Conway; Luther S., who is serving as justice of the peace; John W., an agriculturist; Lewis, a farmer, merchant and harness-maker; Henry G., deceased; Samantha, wife of J. Salyers, and Mary M., wife of A. Covolt.”
Source: Biographical and Genealogical History of Cass, Miami, Howard and Tipton Counties, Indiana, Vol. 2, by The Lewis Publishing Co., Chicago, 1898, pages 1362-4