This institution is supported wholly by voluntary contributions.
Until May 1, 1895, the work had been carried on under the supervision of the department of Minnesota. During the session of the legislature of South Dakota in 1895, an act was passed providing for the incorporation of associations to provide homes for destitute children. Under this law, the South Dakota Children’s Home Society became incorporated August 20, 1895, with the following board of directors: …For two years, …Geo. G. Ware of Deadwood.”
History of Minnehaha County, South Dakota, by Dana Reed Bailey, 1899, page 175