”William B. Hardee, grocer, Crawfordsville, was born May 19, 1849, in Union township, Montgomery county, Indiana. He is a son of Joseph H. and Mary (Ware) Hardee. Joseph Hardee came to Montgomery county about 1829 or 1830, and settled near Sec. 16, Union township. Later his father came, and in 1837 died. Joseph continued on the farm till 1871, when he and wife retired to the city.
Mrs. Hardee’s people, Alexander and Elizabeth Ware, came from Kentucky in 1828 and settled part of School Sec. 16, in Union township. This was the principally settled place. Here lived the Wares, where they raised more snakes and nettles than anything else for awhile. Mr. Ware died in 1832 and his wife in 1843, on a farm they had bought adjoining Sec. 1.
Joseph Hardee’s father, John Hardee, and Mrs. Hardee’s grandfather Wayman, served in the revolution. The Hardees and Wares did their part toward converting the wilderness of Montgomery county into its present cultivated condition. William B. Hardee, subject of this sketch, lived on the farm during earlier years. He spent a time at Wabash College. Leaving the farm he became clerk in the store of J. T. Mack for three years; then for J. C. Fry two years. In the spring of 1879 Mr. Hardee opened a grocery on South Walnut street, and in the spring of 1880 he built a store-room, 16×40, on Walnut street, between Perry and Chestnut, and moved his stock. Here he carries on business and is generally known as the South Side Grocery.
Mr. Hardee was married September 12, 1879, to Miss Isabel, daughter of J. B. and Elizabeth Whitsitt, of Indianapolis. She was born August 6, 1858. They have had one child, Harry W. (deceased). Both are members of the Christian church. Mr. Hardee is an Odd-Fellow and a democrat.”
Source: History of Montgomery County, Indiana, Together With Historic Notes on the Wabash, by H.W. Beckworth, H.H. Hill and N. Iddings, Publishers, Chicago, 1881, pages 238-9