“James Edward Ware
Elected to the Institute in 1882; to Fellowship, 1889
Died at New York City, April 14, 1918
James Edward Ware, who practised architecture for nearly half a century in New York City, was born there on July 16, 1846, the son of John P. and Eliza (Alvord) Ware. He was graduated from the College of the City of New York in 1864, and began practice in 1870. He was one of the pioneers in designing the modern type of fireproof warehouse—the buildings of the Manhattan Storage & Warehouse Co. being notable examples of his work—and also in the designing of improved city dwellings for workers. He was one of the prize-winners in the competition held by the Association for Improving the Condition of the Poor in an effort to better living conditions in the congested districts, and it was from his plans that some of the earliest model tenements were constructed. Other examples of his work are the Twelfth Regiment Armory and the Madison Avenue Presbyterian Church. In later years, his sons, Franklin B. Ware, former State Architect, and Arthur Ware were associated with him.
Mr. Ware was for many years a trustee of the Manhattan Savings Institution, treasurer of the Industrial Christian Alliance, and a member of the Architectural League of New York. He was a member of Company B, Seventh Regiment, N. G. N. Y., for twenty-three years, and was one of the members of the regiment who acted as a guard of honor when the body of President Lincoln lay in state in the City Hall. In 1872 he married Edith Cordelain Backus. He is survived by his wife, three sons, Franklin B., Arthur, and Foster Ware, and three daughters, Mrs. Egbert S. Hurd, Mrs. George Sykes, and Miss E. Gladys Ware.”
Source: Journal of the American Institute of Architects, Vol. 6, by, The American Institute of Architects, Washington, D.C., 1918, pages 199-200