“William O. Ware, deceased, was born in Calais, Vt., Jan. 1, 1818, and was the son of John and Eunice (Bancroft) Ware, who were of supposed English origin, and his mother was a relative of the great historian, George Bancroft. Our subject was reared on his father’s farm, there residing until his marriage with Miss Elvira Sheplee in 1840, whose death occurred in the year of 1858. After their marriage, Mr. Ware removed to a farm near the old homestead, and engaged in farming several years, when, thinking to better his condition, he traveled through Massachusetts, but not being satisfied with that country, came to Burlington in February, 1852. He engaged in business for a couple of years with O. C. Sheplee with a merchant’s supply wagon, after which the partnership was dissolved. He was familiarly known throughout Iowa as “Yankee Ware.” In 1866 and 1867, Mr. Ware traveled as a salesman for Mr. Kaiser, and in 1869 was employed in the same capacity by Kellogg & Co., of Chicago, with whom he remained for several years and then retired from active business.
After the death of his first wife, Mr. Ware was again united in marriage with Miss L. L. Bosworth, daughter of George and Lucinda Bosworth, of Petersham, Mass. The family were of English ancestry, and were among the first settlers of Bristol County, Mass. Mrs. Ware’s girlhood was spent in Petersham, her birthplace, where she received her education and was married Aug. 28, 1862. Mr. Ware bought the home known as the Hendrie home, No. 412 South Main street, and lived there for twenty-seven years until he erected the residence No. 915 North Third street, where his remaining days were spent.
The life of Mr. Ware was one of activity. He was a man of good business and executive ability. A man of domestic habits, he was very much attached to his home, and took great interest in the erection of his elegant and commodious mansion on Third street, which is to-day one of the best built residences in the city of Burlington.”
Source: Portrait and Biographical Album of Des Moines County, Iowa Chicago: Acme Publishing, 1888. pages 272-3