“WARE PARISH ACADEMY, GLOUCESTER COUNTY. A lottery authorized in 1796 for erecting an academy on the land of Ware Parish in the county of Gloucester. This academy had no existence. In 1814, the proceeds $12,801.93 of the sale of glebe lands. Abingdon, Petsworth and Ware Parishes, Gloucester county were appropriated to the purchase of a suitable site and the erection thereon of a poor house, work house, and school house; the whole establishment to be denominated the Gloucester Charity School. After the experiment of two or three years the trustees were convinced that the cost exceeded the benefit and accordingly resolved to sell the establishment and hold the proceeds as a poor fun. It was thought best not to sell a part of the land vested in the trustees called Peasley’s.”
Note: “Glebe lands ” — cultivable lands owned by a parish church.
Source: The Beginnings of Public Education in Virginia 1776-1860, by A.J. Morrison, Davis Botlom, Superintendent of Public Printing, Richmond, 1917, pages 127-8