“MRS. SARAH WARE daughter of David and Catherine Slayback, was born in Lexington Ky., Sept. 13th, 1805.
In 1807 she removed to Butler County, Ohio, and in 1821 came with her Uncle, Israel Seward, to Montgomery County, Ill., and located on the ‘Seward Hill’ south of Butler.
Sarah Slayback lived with Israel Seward for six years, and at his residence, March 12th 1828, was united in marriage with Benjamin Ware, who was born May 27th, 1796, and died upon the farm where Mrs. Ware now resides, July 31st, 1855. The house in in which Mr. Ware first resided with her Uncle on the ‘Hill,” is the old two-story building now standing tenantless in the barn yard. The property is now in the hands of Mrs. M.A. Anderson.
On the 10th of June 1829, Mrs. Ware with her husband, removed to the farm upon which she now resides with her son Justice, two miles N.E. of Butler upon a handsome elevation of land known as ‘Ware’s Grove.’ On this farm Mrs. Ware has lived for forty-nine years.
Mrs. Ware made a profession of religion when about twenty years of age, and about five years later united with the Presbyterian Church of Hillsboro, at that time under the pastoral care of Rev. T. A. Spilman, from whom, about forty-five years ago, she obtained a Bible which is still in her possession. When the Presbyterian Church was organized in Butler, Ill., Aug. 29th 1858, Mrs. Ware was one of the original members.
About one year ago, (1877) Mrs. Ware had an attack of sickness, after recovery from which, the sight in her left eye returned so that she can, without the aid of glasses, read type such as that in which this sketch is preserved, with ease, and also see clearly objects at a distance.
The children of Sarah and Benjamin Ware are as follows: Austin B., born Feb. 20th, 1820. Died April 19th, 1829. Justice H. Born July 11th, 1834.
The Grove, upon what is called ‘Seward Hill,’ had been settled for ten years before there was a death in it, and the first death occurring was that of Austin B. Ware, oldest son of Benjamin and Sarah Ware.”
Source: Semi-centenarians of Butler Grove Township, Montgomery Co., Ill., by Rev. Thomas E. Spilman, Sept. 1878, page 639