”Montgomery is situated in the fourth range of the towns east of the Lake, and in the second from Canada line. Chartered, Oct. 8, 1789. Settlement commenced by Joshua Clapp. Organized, Aug. 12, 1802. Church organized in 1817, by Rev. James Parker, consisting of nine members. This church had no pastor until Rev. A. S. Ware was ordained. He was their settled minister more than five years. Since his dismission, they have depended on occasional supplies. There have been partial revivals in this church in 1831 and in 1839. At present this church is supplied a part of the time by Rev. John Gleed, from England. It is expected that this church will soon be able to erect a house for worship. It now consists of twenty-seven members. Population, 460.
Rev. Avery S. Ware studied theology with Rev. E. H. Newton, Marlboro, Vt.; he was licensed by Windham Association, Sept. 15, 1822. After his dismission from Montgomery, he labored as stated supply in several towns in the northern part of Vermont, and as a Missionary in Lower Canada. In the fall of 1836, he removed with his family to Otsego, Alleghany county, Michigan, where he resided till his death.”
The American Quarterly Register, Vol. 12, by American Education Society, 1840, pages 356-7