“Lyman Ware, M.D. was born November 11, 1841, and is a son of Ralph and Lucinda (Clark) Ware, both parents being natives of Massachusetts, where the Ware family located in the 17th century. On the mother’s side the Clarks came to the Colonies in 1621 on the second voyage of the Mayflower and located at what is now Conway, and there members of the family have ever since resided. Ralph, father of Lyman, was born in Conway in 1804 and became a manufacturer of shell combs, continuing until 1833, when he came to Illinois and settled in Granville, Putnam county. There he engaged in farming and stock raising and often drove his cattle, hog and sheep to the Chicago market. He was active in politics, was a Whig and was well acquainted with Abraham Lincoln whom he often entertained at his home. He was a Presbyterian and the main supporter of the church in his home village. His death occurred in 1863. His children were: Edward (deceased), Caroline, Lucinda (deceased), Lyman, Elisha (deceased 1909), Lincoln (deceased) and Henry.
Dr. Lyman Ware was educated in the public schools of Granville and later attended the University of Michigan. In his second year at that institution he enlisted in the One Hundred and Thirty-second Regiment Illinois Volunteer Infantry, and owing to his knowledge of drugs and medicine was taken from the ranks and made hospital steward, being located most of the time at Paducah, Ky. Upon being mustered out in 1865 he entered in the Chicago Medical college, now medical department of Northwestern University, and after taking his degree of M.D. entered the medical department of the University of Pennsylvania, graduating therefrom in 1868. He returned at once to Chicago and engaged in the general practice of medicine, becoming connected with several hospitals and dispensaries. After spending 1874 and 1875 in post graduate work in Vienna and Paris, he again returned to Chicago and then limited his practice to diseases of the eye and ear at 125 State street. He was thus located until 1893 when he removed his office to the corner of Wabash avenue and Washington street, Marshall Field building, and here he has since remained. For twenty-five years he was surgeon at the Illinois Eye and Ear hospital and for several years was connected with the Cook county hospital. He is a Republican and a Presbyterian; of the later organization he has been an elder for many years. His life has been active, useful and replete with stirring and important professional scenes. He has translated, by special permission, on Arlt’s clinical lectures on diseases of the eye. He is the owner of considerable business and flat property in the city.
On June 7, 1877, Dr. Ware was united in marriage with Miss Elizabeth A. Law, daughter of Robert Law of this city, and to them have been born the following children: Hildegard, born November 20, 1892: Edith, born March 18, 1894; and Elizabeth, born February 20, 1897. The family resides at 4424 Drexel boulevard. ”
Source: History of Cook County Illinois, edited by Weston Authur Goodspeed and Daniel David Healy, Hammond Press, W.B. Conkey Co., Chicago,1909, page 717